Haaayyyy it’s Fridaaayyyy!
I have a delicious recipe to share with you…keep reading for my Thai Grain Salad!
1. First up, we have another Costco AND Walmart find! Seeds of Change offers 90 second ready-to-heat organic rice packs. I’ve only tried the Brown Rice & Quinoa (6 pack at Costco) and Seven Whole Grains (at Walmart) but I’m eager to try their other flavors with this $1.50 off coupon! (If I eat this as a plain side, I like to dash Bragg Liquid Aminos on the quinoa & rice for flavor.)
2.Peanut Sauce: I’m always on the lookout for an easy and healthy peanut sauce to dip veggies in and drizzle over my latest Thai salad creation (recipe below at #5!). I’ve also mixed the peanut sauce with the Seeds of Change Quinoa & Brown Rice and steamed broccoli for an Asian side dish. YOU GUYS. This sauce is the best I’ve tasted, so go ahead and do yourself a favor and double the recipe. Keep it healthy and clean by using pure ground unsalted peanut butter. Wiz it together in your smallest high speed blender and resist the urge to lick the blade.
3. Turkey Chili: Now that it’s officially fall, I’m getting myself in the mood for cooler temps with this turkey chili. This isn’t a new food find for me since I’ve probably made this about 8 times, but if you’re needing a healthy chili recipe: t-r-y it. Stove-top or crock-pot, it’s delicious. The only changes I typically do: puree the diced tomatoes and add salt to taste.
4. 10 Minute Farro by Trader Joe’s: Farro is such a hearty and slightly chewy grain in all of the best ways. This little bag is only $1.79 but it makes a decent number of servings. Toss on salads, use it as a side, or throw it in a homemade soup near the end of the cooking time.
5. I made this Thai Grain Salad on Sunday and Michael and I have been munching on it all week and it’s kept in the fridge perfectly. It’s great served cold or warm, though I tend to prefer it warmed. I wait to add the peanut sauce on top, as well as top it with chopped raw cashews. I even tossed shredded chicken for some lunches and whew, that was awesome! Here’s the base:
- Trader Joe’s 10 Minute Farro
- 1c cooked quinoa
- Red/orange/yellow bell peppers (about a 1/2 pepper of each color, chopped well)
- 1c shredded carrots
- 1/2c chopped green onion
- 1/2 small red onion, diced finely
- 1 package of Trader Joe’s Ready to Eat Edamame (or 8oz of shelled and defrosted edamame)
- 1/2 cilantro (or more), stemmed and rough chopped
- Pink Himalayan salt to taste
- Cook the farro and quinoa according to package instructions
- Chop peppers, onions, and cilantro
- Add edamame
- Allow farro and quinoa to cool
- Toss all ingredients together
- Salt to taste
- Portion your plate & then
drizzledrench with peanut sauce
- Top with chopped raw cashews
That’s a wrap for FFFFF edition 3! Any new foods you’ve discovered that I need to know about? Cheers for the weekend!