May is by far my favorite month of the year. Not only are peonies in full bloom, but there are SO many days to celebrate! First up, I turned 31, which wasn’t nearly as eventful as turning 30. We were … Continue reading
Since doing my 30 posts in 30 days, it’s felt a little strange not having a daily blog post to write, though I’m convinced you must have gotten sick of me. It was a fun challenge to actually prove to myself that I could come up with 30 different topics! My plan is to continue to write on Bird’s Nest at least twice a week, perhaps Tuesdays and Fridays. Here we are, Friday! Boy am I glad it’s the weekend. Work has been cray-cray with the end of the school year. There was prom and now I’m gearing up for planning banquets, baccalaureate, and graduation. Since I’m also the yearbook teacher, we are working on the last pages and edits of the yearbook. AND, half of our building is going under a renovation so I got evicted out of my office and moved to a dark, windowless cubical beside the teacher lounge. TGIF.
Here’s my top five for today!
- Last weekend I celebrated my 30th birthday, wahoo! My parents came into town and the four of us went downtown D.C. to Jaleo for a birthday dinner. Woah woah waoh those bites were delicious! What a sweet weekend celebrating.Also, for all of my dear loved ones who sent cards, flowers, and wrote Facebook posts, thank you for making a girl feel special!
- Michael and I celebrated our second wedding anniversary on May 9th. I wrote him a letter that day and for dinner, we went to eat at Don Taco, a favorite of ours in Old Town!
- Speaking of marriage, I think this article is a great reminder for couples.
- Today I’m planning to take my 800th Pure Barre class! I’ve kept a tally of all of my classes that I’ve taken over the past 4 years (and one week) from various studios. There’s something about hitting a milestone that makes that LTB a little more rewarding.
- I cannot get enough of this soup. Nona Lim Thai Curry & Lime Broth is a nightly craving. It’s actually just a broth, totally satisfying alone, but you could honestly do so many creations with it. I’m thinking of adding shredding chicken, sliced bell peppers, water chestnuts, and an cilantro to make it hearty! Get it at your local Whole Foods.
Those are my top 5! Michael and I are going to see Snatched with Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn tonight and tomorrow, I teach a few Pure Barre classes while Michael as to work. The rest of the weekend should be low-key with grilling out and finishing the last season of Mad Men.
What are your plans? Happy Friday, Y’all!
It’s Eleanor’s 7th birthday! When I look back at how teeny-tiny she was, I get all nostalgic to her little playful spunk! She still doesn’t love to be held, but Michael insists that he picks her up daily “to train … Continue reading
T-Minus 30 days. THIRTY DAYS until. I. am. THIRTY! I’ve always been a big birthday count-downer. You know, one of those people who has their birthday as their favorite holiday of the year. I’ve written about it before in my … Continue reading
Hi All! It’s May…MY BIRTHDAY MONTH! Aka the most wonderful time of the year!
I have learned a couple of valuable lessons these past 26 years. The first lesson: one key to happiness is to have low expectations to be pleasantly surprised when your expectations are succeeded. Or you can go the other route… the second (and more important lesson): have high expectations and be very clear and blunt about those expectations by communicating…clearly.
I want to clearly express my high expectations of my birthday this upcoming Monday, May 5, 2014:
1. Write me sweet things. Tell me how much you love me and what I mean to you. I realize this is no small request for some of you who don’t express freely what you think or feel…but suck.it.up. It’s my day.
2. FaceTime or call me (if you have my number). If I happen to “accidentally” ignore the call—don’t worry, I will clear plenty of voicemail space for you to tell me how much you love me and what I mean to you (reference #1 again). I’ll hit “keep forever” so I can replay the 364 other days of the year and call you right back. If I “pretend” that I didn’t listen to the voicemail yet, go ahead and just repeat what you said on the voicemail. It will be music to my ears—almost like singing “Happy Birthday.”
3. No need to sing to me said Happy Birthday song. Things get awkward around the second “to you” when you take it up an octave. (Unless you are my nieces…then Ambie & Elena, I expect you to sing your little hearts out!)
4. I expect perfect weather, full of sunshine and chirping birds.
5. Accepting frozen yogurt coupons & gift cards to TCBY or Sweet Frog.
I think that pretty much sums it up. If you need any clarification, let me know. Until Cinco de Mayo…
Xo- Shea, the soon to be birthday girl.
Hi dear friends.
How are you? It’s been awhile since we’ve caught up. Is the world still going on out there, despite me being on summer break?! I’ve concluded I do break well; probably too well because I’m considering making “break” a profession.
I’ve slept in, some mornings as late as 11:45am!
I haven’t worked out in 2 weeks. Liberating I tell you!
I celebrated my 24th birthday, mothers’ day, and my brothers 30th birthday. How quickly we grow up…
I also celebrated my friend Jordan’s father’s life (Bronson Hunter) as well. He passed away May 9, 2011 and I’m so thankful to have had the chance to know him. I have countless childhood memories with the Hunter family (since first grade!) going to the annual Halloween parties, vacationing with them for many summers, and spending countless nights over at their house. Even though I just spent a year interning with Hospice, death is still a mysterious concept for me but if there is one thing I’ve learned, it’s that life is precious and meant to be enjoyed. My prayers go out to the Hunters that each day will bring joy, purpose, and love.
Also on break, I’ve watched my nice learn to walk, drank some pretty martinis, and went to visit my grandparents & aunt/uncle in Charlottesville on the family farm. (More to come on the farm adventures!)
I’m about to leave (tomorrow!) for California for two weeks visiting some of my best friends & family. Other than that, I don’t have any major summer plans. A few concerts are planned (Mumford & Sons // Bon Iver), some summer weddings to attend (Alison & Josh // Amanda & Tim), and plenty of shows to indulge in (Bachelorette // So You Think You Can Dance)!
Indeed, I think it’s going to be a very sweet summer ahead. What do you have planned?
My spring break officially began Thursday afternoon at 1:16pm. I celebrated with Organic Green Rooibos Tea and an afternoon reading a book. By Friday, the break was over and all weekend I’ve been in paper-writing mode. Not fun. It’s definitely a different pace than my trip to Nicaragua last spring break…(sigh…) Anyways, I’m almost done with the paper, which means my spring break will be fully dedicated to relaxing, being crafty, watching many movies, and sending some posts your way! Until then, here are some tid-bits…
- I haven’t had a soft drink since the beginning of January.
- I saw “The Adjustment Bureau” & I liked it.
- Lent starts Wednesday & I’m trying to figure out what needs to be re-prioritized in my life. (Honestly, there is a lot to choose from!)
- My birthday is less than two months away.
- I still am unsure of my summer plans.
- I’m writing this post to procrastinate finishing my paper.
P.S. Watermelon mojitos? Yes, please.