It’s Eleanor’s 7th birthday! When I look back at how teeny-tiny she was, I get all nostalgic to her little playful spunk! She still doesn’t love to be held, but Michael insists that he picks her up daily “to train … Continue reading
T-Minus 30 days. THIRTY DAYS until. I. am. THIRTY! I’ve always been a big birthday count-downer. You know, one of those people who has their birthday as their favorite holiday of the year. I’ve written about it before in my … Continue reading
Hi All! It’s May…MY BIRTHDAY MONTH! Aka the most wonderful time of the year!
I have learned a couple of valuable lessons these past 26 years. The first lesson: one key to happiness is to have low expectations to be pleasantly surprised when your expectations are succeeded. Or you can go the other route… the second (and more important lesson): have high expectations and be very clear and blunt about those expectations by communicating…clearly.
I want to clearly express my high expectations of my birthday this upcoming Monday, May 5, 2014:
1. Write me sweet things. Tell me how much you love me and what I mean to you. I realize this is no small request for some of you who don’t express freely what you think or feel…but suck.it.up. It’s my day.
2. FaceTime or call me (if you have my number). If I happen to “accidentally” ignore the call—don’t worry, I will clear plenty of voicemail space for you to tell me how much you love me and what I mean to you (reference #1 again). I’ll hit “keep forever” so I can replay the 364 other days of the year and call you right back. If I “pretend” that I didn’t listen to the voicemail yet, go ahead and just repeat what you said on the voicemail. It will be music to my ears—almost like singing “Happy Birthday.”
3. No need to sing to me said Happy Birthday song. Things get awkward around the second “to you” when you take it up an octave. (Unless you are my nieces…then Ambie & Elena, I expect you to sing your little hearts out!)
4. I expect perfect weather, full of sunshine and chirping birds.
5. Accepting frozen yogurt coupons & gift cards to TCBY or Sweet Frog.
I think that pretty much sums it up. If you need any clarification, let me know. Until Cinco de Mayo…
Xo- Shea, the soon to be birthday girl.
Hi dear friends.
How are you? It’s been awhile since we’ve caught up. Is the world still going on out there, despite me being on summer break?! I’ve concluded I do break well; probably too well because I’m considering making “break” a profession.
I’ve slept in, some mornings as late as 11:45am!
I haven’t worked out in 2 weeks. Liberating I tell you!
I celebrated my 24th birthday, mothers’ day, and my brothers 30th birthday. How quickly we grow up…
I also celebrated my friend Jordan’s father’s life (Bronson Hunter) as well. He passed away May 9, 2011 and I’m so thankful to have had the chance to know him. I have countless childhood memories with the Hunter family (since first grade!) going to the annual Halloween parties, vacationing with them for many summers, and spending countless nights over at their house. Even though I just spent a year interning with Hospice, death is still a mysterious concept for me but if there is one thing I’ve learned, it’s that life is precious and meant to be enjoyed. My prayers go out to the Hunters that each day will bring joy, purpose, and love.
Also on break, I’ve watched my nice learn to walk, drank some pretty martinis, and went to visit my grandparents & aunt/uncle in Charlottesville on the family farm. (More to come on the farm adventures!)
I’m about to leave (tomorrow!) for California for two weeks visiting some of my best friends & family. Other than that, I don’t have any major summer plans. A few concerts are planned (Mumford & Sons // Bon Iver), some summer weddings to attend (Alison & Josh // Amanda & Tim), and plenty of shows to indulge in (Bachelorette // So You Think You Can Dance)!
Indeed, I think it’s going to be a very sweet summer ahead. What do you have planned?
My spring break officially began Thursday afternoon at 1:16pm. I celebrated with Organic Green Rooibos Tea and an afternoon reading a book. By Friday, the break was over and all weekend I’ve been in paper-writing mode. Not fun. It’s definitely a different pace than my trip to Nicaragua last spring break…(sigh…) Anyways, I’m almost done with the paper, which means my spring break will be fully dedicated to relaxing, being crafty, watching many movies, and sending some posts your way! Until then, here are some tid-bits…
- I haven’t had a soft drink since the beginning of January.
- I saw “The Adjustment Bureau” & I liked it.
- Lent starts Wednesday & I’m trying to figure out what needs to be re-prioritized in my life. (Honestly, there is a lot to choose from!)
- My birthday is less than two months away.
- I still am unsure of my summer plans.
- I’m writing this post to procrastinate finishing my paper.
P.S. Watermelon mojitos? Yes, please.