Our trip to Thailand and China was awesome. My favorite part was spending 13 days and nights straight with Michael (insert googily eyes)! (Though the heated toilet seat we had in China is a close second!) We had a lot of time to explore and really enjoyed seeing the other side of the world together. We tried new food, made new friends, and shared a certain camaraderie when facing the not-so-glamorous-instagrammable-parts of traveling. Today’s post is to share a few of those real travel experiences!
- Arriving too late to the check-in counter, the whole missing our flight ordeal, and then finding out the plane was delayed two hours and we actually could have made the flight.
- The days of travel it took to get there, from town to town, and the trip back home. Oh, and the constant baggage security checks.
- The smells of street food. Is the raw meat sitting in that glass container safe to eat? It’s only 95 degrees outside…
- There’s no place like
home…err…your own bathroom.
- Walking through uncovered sneezes. Manners people of the world!
- Flight arrivals at 2am, taxi rides to the hotel, and then checking in at 3:45am. Night night! Or should I say, “nap, nap!”?
- Thailand’s water festival, Songkran. We had buckets of water thrown on us. Yaayy…
- If we weren’t wet from the buckets of water, we were sweating, and sweating, and sweating some more because it’s hot in Thailand and any idea to “wear this outfit again” went right out the window.
- The time Michael and I had a bad massage: The ladies were distracted by the TV playing, while Michael’s lady kept texting on her phone. Mine decided she had to go to the bathroom in our bathroom with the door open and then came back to massage my feet…without washing her hands.
- Let me tell you about the flight from Thailand to China: First, the seat rows were insanely close together. Secondly, I was stuck in the middle and the person beside me had the worst body odor. The situation didn’t help when he took of his shoes…and socks…and then put his feet up on his seat.
- Jet lag is real.
- Stomach pain. See point #4.
- Finding out there WAS a direct flight to DC and that we really didn’t need to go through N.Y.
- Airplane food: It’s never good. Even when you’re hungry, it’s never good!
- Being banned from Facebook and Instagram in China!
Despite these mentioned moments, I’d sign up for the trip all over again. Maybe we’d do a few things different (like get to the airport earlier and tell the masseuse to wash her hands), but traveling is a whole package. We rode on an elephant and walked the Great Wall of China! We ate theeeee besssst soups and Pad Thai…and enjoyed the heated toilet seat in China ;-). The other massages we had were pure bliss. I felt like a celebrity with so many people asking to take a picture with me. Haha!
Next trip: somewhere closer!