Do you ever find yourself focused on all of the should-be, could-be, not-enoughs? I should be 15lbs lighter. I could spend more time on that relationship but, well, my energy is depleted. I want to pursue that dream but there’s just not enough time. When I spend so much of my thought life in the woulda-coulda-shoulda zone, I forget how blessed I really am.
There was a season in my life where I was frustrated with school, had family issues heavy on my heart, and constantly wondered why I couldn’t feel like my normal, positive self. It was a season of being stretched in my faith and trusting that I was just in a season. To combat the depression, I made gratitude lists nearly every day for a year. I can’t tell you how many times I put “Eleanor” on the list! The lists help me stop focusing on the things I couldn’t control and shifted my perspective on the things I could acknowledge as blessings.
Today, I’m going back to making a gratitude list to keep me grounded in the present moment.
- My faith in God to lead and guide my life, believing that God is able to do far more than we ever ask or imagine according to His power in me (Ephesians 3:20).
- Every relationship I have: Michael, my family and in-laws, friends, Pure Barre community, co-workers, and social media pals!
- My job. (Nearly) Everything about it. My boss is awesome, my co-workers are enjoyable, the students I work with are awesome. My commute. The time off for breaks.
- Spring break starts tomorrow!!!
- Our upcoming trip to Thailand and China…tomorrow!
- My health and strength.
- Our church, National Community Church under Mark Batterson’s leadership.
- Our townhouse and living in Old Town.
- The “extra’s” in life: Traveling, going out to eat, Netflix!
- Eleanor, because, that’s my girl!
What are your top ten things/people/etc that you’re grateful for today? I encourage you, take a minute to jot them down! Comment below your top 3 today!