I swear the older I get, the quicker the years go by. I have a feeling I’m not alone in this sensation. To keep rooted in the present moment, I have to be still and reflect. I hate and love the end of the year. It will never be this year again…yet a new year brings such hope, excitement, and possibility.
When I look at my 11 things to do for 2011, I can feel pretty good that most of those to-dos are crossed off.
I didn’t go meatless one day per week, but I can definitely say I cut down on meat. I got to rock out to Mumford & Son’s in concert and go to three different museums I’ve never been to before. I can say I know more about interior design, though I still want to learn more. I’ve gotten to get on a plane multiple times to travel to New York City, Pasadena, L.A., San Francisco, Sonoma, and Lakeland, FL. Carolyn & I went to see the Nutcracker this month and it was magical! My iphoto library is filled with pictures, though not enough. I have a feeling that will change this year since getting my beautiful new DSLR! I got to take a wine tour with my family in Sonoma and I am trying brussel spouts soon—wish me luck. Bikram yoga will be pushed to 2012. Oh yeah, and that spontaneous thing I did… I got a tattoo back in September! Surprise!!! Mom drew it and I wanted her art on me. Birds have a lot of meaning to her and me. Here’s a pic!
(Above photo taken by Janna Gould)
Top 11 Moments of 2011:
1. Giving up going out to eat for lent. I never followed up with that on Bird’s Nest but it was a very powerful season of lent. 40 days of no Chick-fil-a or any other restaurant was really hard, but alas, I survived by learning to do a little recreating…Shea-fil-a, anyone?!
2. Reading & watching “The Help.” I absolutely loved that book and movie.
3. Spending quality time with my family in Charlottesville.
4. Visiting a friend and family members in California, while falling in love with San Francisco & Sonoma, California. Siiiighhhhh.
5. Becoming a licensed Zumba and Zumbatomic instructor! One, two, double!
7. Many girlfriend dates with this cutie.
9. Taking a modern dance class this past semester. It was definitely a form of therapy for me.
10. Spending a long weekend in Charleston, SC with my cousins! I love those girls and am so blessed to call them my family!
11. Feeling happy again.
11.5 Seeing my college roomie, Helen, multiple times this year (especially when we went apple picking!). Also, another college friend, Stephanie, came to visit and it was so much fun to see her. (Steph, when ya coming back!?)
It’s been one helluva year! Happy New Year, folks! Next post: 2012 list!